King County Announces Funding Proposal to Save Metro Bus Service

Today King County Executive Dow Constantine announced a “Plan B” funding proposal to prevent cuts to Metro bus service and fund road repairs. The proposal will go to the voters at a special election on April 22 and ask them to approve:

  • A $60 vehicle license fee (replacing the $20 fee which expires in June for a net increase of $40)
  • An additional 0.1% sales tax

60% of the funds would go to Metro while the other 40% would be used by cities and the county for road repairs, apportioned by population. Starting in 2015 there would also be a 25-cent increase in fares. For the first time, there would also be a new fare for low-income riders.

Learn more about the proposal and Metro’s funding gap.

Posted in Transportation